Paris: My Travel Plan

by - August 07, 2019




“If I'm ever in Europe the first City I want to see is Paris - France.” 

It all started with this Korean Telenovela I used to watch when I was in high school called – Lovers in Paris. I was so addicted, to the point where I cry when I missed an episode because the electricity is out. You see, I grew up in a country side far away from civilization. We don’t have internet, YouTube or even a Cable! We just use this antenna thing to get some sort of signal. Story of my life.

Anyway, when the company sent me here in the UK for work, I thought to myself this is it! I can now go to Paris!! Little did I know, the visa is different and I needed to go to this whole visa processing, and it wasn’t as easy as it sounds. But for my Parisian dream, i'll do whatever! I applied and get approved. Yay!

When my visa came, I was so happy and excited. I’ve pre booked everything. Flights, accommodations and train tickets. It was my first time travelling alone so I made sure everything is organised. Well I wasn’t really travelling alone because my best friend is coming to see me there. Yay! Bff reunited in Paris!

I've read that Paris is a busy city and that i can be tough. Pick pockets and scams are everywhere and that you need to look sharp and alert all the time.

Weeks before my travel, as part of the travel preparation I googled everything i need to know, Maps, Train Stations and even googled "How to use Metro in Paris". It turned out great for me! Cause when i got there i didn't look like some lost little girl looking for her mumma. MAN, I LOOK SHARP!

My travel plan - Tips & advice

Passport and Visa

The most important thing for a third world country resident like me -Visa! If you're in the UK and holding a Philippine Passport (even if you have a resident permit - BRP) you still need a Schengen Visa to enter the EU.

I promise to write a separate post on how to apply for a Schengen Visa.

Accommodation

When booking accommodation, I always suggest to go to the ones accessible via public transportation. Its not always necessary to book a place near tourist spots. A good location is the key and always a must!

I'm a fan of Airbnb and I often book here during my travels.  I booked a 1br flat for me and Grace located at 11th district very close to 2 Metro stations and plenty of restaurants and bar near by.
Located on the 3rd floor of a charming building, the apartment is bright and fully equipped: washing machine, dishwasher, dishes, plates, refrigerator with freezer, kettle, microwave.





 
Join me on Airbnb and get 34% off on your first adventure. 

Itinerary

Im that person who doesn't usually follow the itinerary but I always make effort to draft one. I still find it useful especially when plotting places I want to see.

Plot your itinerary. Even if it's not detailed or it's impossible to achieve. Plan your day. Make something. You'll be surprised how useful this can be.

I start off with my travel timeframe. Whether it’s a two-week holiday or a global one-year adventure, the reality is that your travels will (probably) come to an end. The vast majority of people will have an end point to their trip and for me i only have 3 days!
Heres my draft itinerary. lol


Transportation

Paris Metro

I studied the Paris Metro System (man, it is overwhelming!!), googled the different lines, connections, stations, timetable and prices. Even looked at videos on how to use them. I found it very useful.

And because I will be arriving in The Netherlands, i needed a direct train to Paris. I booked it in advance via Trainline app. I found this app very handy and up to 50% cheaper if you book in advance. Timetable is also available so planning your journey is quick and easy.

Money

You don't have to be rich to travel. You just have to have enough. Be wise and efficient in spending your money.

Here are some of the tips I learned and always do when it comes to money.
  • Always have local cash - Not every place take credit cards. Especially important places like trains or buses.
  • Call your bank or credit card provider - Sometimes banks think that fraud may be occurring if transactions are suddenly happening in Bali when you’re from Jersey, and they will turn off your card as a security measure.
  • Look up the monetary conversion before you go - Make sure you do your math before you travel to get a sense of where the conversion rate is at.
  • Make sure your credit card will work in the country you're visiting - European banks have switched almost completely to the more secure chip-and-PIN technology, and fewer businesses abroad are accepting the outdated magnetic-strip cards.
  • Never withdraw in an airport ATM Machine - Exchange rate are usually awful.
  • Lastly, you're about to pay the bill at a restaurant in Europe when up flashes a question on the card machine: do you want to pay in euros or in pounds? The correct answer is always to choose the local currency of the country you are in — so euros if you’re in the Eurozone, dollars in the U.S. and so on. This is because when you pay in pounds, the foreign bank, shop or restaurant can set its own conversion rate to calculate your bill, which is usually much worse than the rate your bank would use.

Last but not the least, Outfits!!

Yes i plan for my outfits and it is very important to me. Always, always check the weather and pack accordingly!
It was Summer time and should be about 23 degrees in Paris so i sorted my Summer outfit nonetheless. I packed 2 midi dresses, 2 playsuits, 1 sandals, 1 comfy white trainers and a whole loads of accessories.


Sneak peak


Thanks for reading! Stay tuned for the next part of my Paris trip.







You May Also Like

0 comments