Paris Day 1: The Journey and The Iron Lady

by - August 07, 2019


My plane landed in Schiphol airport in the Netherlands mid-day. I was so nervous. So many thoughts in my head, what if I don't get through immigration? What if i get lost? What if I missed my train to Paris? What if I get on the wrong train?

I allotted 2 hours between my arrival and my train departure. I know that trains are just below Schiphol airport, but you know in case i get into any trouble. Better safe than sorry.
I followed the other passengers as soon as we get off the plane. It is easy to navigate the airport. There are signage in the hallways. You'll never get lost. Just keep your head up.

My head is pounding as I lined up for immigration checks. Be cool. Be cool. For some reason I am always nervous whenever I go through security checks, it’s not like I’m hiding something or whatever. I think it’s the ambiance and fear that something goes wrong like in the ones we see in the movies.


“How long are you here for?” Immigration officer asked.

“Just until Tuesday, uhmmm.. 7 days.” I replied with eye to eye contact. Blue green eyes, nice white teeth and brown polished hair. He is cute.

“Are you going somewhere else or just here in Netherlands?”

“I’m going to France.” I answered quickly. “….but I’m only staying there for 3 days and will be back here.” I tried to explain.

He had series of questions after that. I was so relieved when he finally stamped my passport and said, “Enjoy your holiday!”

Like most of the major airports, train station is few steps away, for Schiphol it is sitting just below it. Once immigration checks are through, you’ll find yourself in the baggage claim area. Just continue walking and you’ll find exit that will lead you to the train station.
I went straight to the trains information to check where my platform is.


Fast forward to the 3 and a half hour train journey, I arrived in Paris 30 mins past 5 in the afternoon via Thalys train. It is the final station - Paris Gare du Nord or Paris North station. It sounds like it is located outside of Paris, but it is located within the main ring of Paris center.

This allows you to change to a Paris train or metro line, and be in the heart of Paris within a couple of minutes. For example, Paris trains D (green) and B (blue) and the E (pink) will bring you to ‘Les Halles’, close to the Louvre and Seine. I already knew which line will take me to my Airbnb. It’s the green line. But first I need to get tickets. This is when I realised, I am not in an English-speaking country. I had a little trouble buying my tickets but eventually the lady on the booth understood me.

For only €1,90 you can travel everywhere in Paris main ring or if you buy a 10-pack, you pay only €1,49 per ticket.

My Airbnb host sent me a message on where and how to access the property. The message was some kind of instructions from a James Bond movie. My host is cool.

As soon I settled my stuff. I jumped on the Metro Line 9 to Palace de Trocadéro to see the Eiffel Tower.

Eiffel Tower – My First Encounter


To be honest I was teary eyed when I saw it. I can feel the tears in the corner of my eyes. As I walk closer towards the small square, I'm still in awe. There were vendor selling souvenirs, they were loud and almost like harassing you to buy an item. But I didn’t really bother. My eyes were staring at this Iconic landmark with admiration. My heart is full. This is it. A childhood dream come true.

I walked down the pathway heading to Champ de Mars (the park parallel to the tower) but it was closed. This is the place where you see in pictures with stairs and pigeons flying around. A bit disappointed I continued walking down until I get close. Standing 1,063-foot-tall, this iron monument is looking strong and massive.

I walked around and bought a few souvenirs (which I shouldn’t, because I know they’re a bit pricy). I waited until dusk and for the city to become dark. I wanted to see The Iron Lady sparkling like the one I see in the movies.


And there she is, lighting the city.


There was a carousel at the bottom right of Champ de Mars. The combination of this view makes the city so romantic. Could have been perfect if my Bebe was right beside me.

I spent a good hour (with my head up) admiring the Parisian Monument. This is once a childhood dream. My mumma would be so proud.
Some french bakes. I tried the chocolate crepe cause i really fancy.



I noticed there are quite several vendors selling drinks on the streets. They even sell wine! How cool is that? Lol.

I head home, jam-packed of pictures in my camera and cell phone. I survived my first day!

You May Also Like

0 comments