Rathlin Island: A world away for a day

by - August 13, 2018



The bucolic UK island you've probably never heard of.

Rathlin Island (from Irish: Reachlainn) is an island and civil parish off the coast of Country Antrim, the only inhabited offshore island and the northernmost point of Northern Ireland.

Shaped like a boomerang, this island is just about right, not too big, not too small but dramatically beautiful in its bucolic setting.

High sea cliffs lend an aura of mystery and a sense of wanting to explore what lies beyond. Rathlin is a charming sight from the mainland, beckoning you over from the bustling cheer of Ballycastle on a 25-minute ferry ride.

Ballycastle is an hour and a half drive from Belfast. We left early and were aiming for 10:45am ferry but tickets are sold out and we have no choice but to wait for the next ferry that leaves in another 45 minutes! The funny thing is we were so excited to cycle around that we pre-booked the bicycle in the island instead of the the ferry. 

Ballycastle ferry station
It's Spring the sun is up and weather is lovely. I was wearing a white top and a mustard shorts. The ferry ride was short and smooth and freezing (for me)! We ate our packed lunch and just in time when we finished we are already in the shore of Rathlin Island.

I was in awe as soon as we disembark. Its almost like everywhere, when you look around is all beauty. Just like in the movies.



We had a good walk a long the shore while watching the seal sunning themselves. I couldn't  believe my eyes! I saw about a dozen of them just chillin' on the shoreline.

took a selfie with the seals :
There are there 3 ways to explore the island.

You can board a minibus to West Point. Begin at the harbour at Church Bay, and follow the road west for a few hundred yards, passing the little Anglican church of St Thomas beside the sea, prettily “galletted”, with little basalt stones. Now brace yourself as you turn steeply up the hill – and onto the windy island upland, with its expanses of heather, woods, peat-dark lakes, and orange-glowing “whin” (the Northern Irish and Scottish term for gorse).

If you fancy walking, you can walk. Rathlin is a paradise for walkers!

And lastly and what I also recommend is to cycle! £10 gets you a great bike and all day hire plus helmet. Bike rental is a short walk from the harbour in front of the pub and on around to the left or behind the pub and go south. Jennifer will help you find a bike to fit your size! And of course she got me a kids bike. A purple one.



I have not been on a bike in forever. I dont even know how to change gears. So.. my experience was a struggle at first but as soon as I figured out how the gear works I started to enjoy the process. Tell you what, the hills are HILLY!!! I never made it to the hills not even one hill. I always need to go down and just walk with my bicycle.



With fresh air and a view like that, who am I to complain?


Rathin is definitely a place to be. It's magnificent from the seal paradise to the scenic cycling route and the numerous loughs along the way.

Too bad we missed the seabird watching spot which is the lighthouse on the east part of the island. Tell you what, once you experienced the islands natural beauty and tranquility there will always be an allure to return time and a gain. Even up to this point while I am writing this blog there's always a part of me that pushes me to go back to this Island.

Wait for my comeback hilly hills. I will conquer you.



You May Also Like

0 comments