Kinderdijk Windmills: A UNESCO World Heritage

by - July 31, 2019




I can only describe this place as a picture straight out of a story book. It is UNREAL! I was so glad that I’ve chosen to go to this site rather than the one close to Amsterdam.
I always plan and research the places I’d go to whenever I travel. It is essential for me to know what to expect when I get there. I’ve read that the one in Zanse Schans is often crowded with tourists mainly because it's close to Amsterdam.

I stayed in Rotterndam so I opted to go to this one.

Kinderdijk is located 15 miles east of Rotterdam – second largest City in Netherlands and pretty much accessible via several public transportation. If you want to visit this UNESCO site, I recommend staying in Rotterdam plus its much cheaper compared to the neighboring cities.

Boat cruise around the Windmills 

I didn’t know what windmills are used for before I came here. I thought it was just some kind of a storage place like a Barn in a farm house. But it's actually a water pump!



Netherlands is one of those countries with plenty water. Like much of the rest of the country, Kinderdijk lies below sea level. The Netherlands looks back on a proud and ancient tradition of working together with the water. For nearly a thousand years, the Dutch have been clever in dealing with the water that surrounds them. The sustainable blend of nature and technology used to keep Kinderdijk dry is so uniquely valuable that the area and its windmills were granted UNESCO World Heritage status. The site boasts 19 pristinely preserved windmills (some are still working!).



I arrived mid-afternoon via the water bus and went directly to the Tourist visiting centre to rent a bike. You can walk along and look at the windmills for free but I prefer to cycle. With my short legs and tiny steps Im certain I’ll take forever for me to see all the windmills. Thankful for the cycle paths around the area. In fact, cycle paths run between most of the 19 monumental windmills contained within Kinderdijk’s borders.
South Holland is the province with the highest population of windmills in Holland, and what better way to explore it than through the typically Dutch way of the bicycle!
I spent about 2 hours cycling and making random stops to take pictures. There were wooden platforms along the river to give you a better view of the windmills. So delighted there weren't too many people around when i visited.  I took my time to breathe and appreciate the stunning scenery.

Wandering around the area felt like I was a little girl in a story book cycling in a country side. It was surreal.

I highly recommend visiting this place.

How to get there:

By Water Bus – Coolest way ever! Efficient, affordable and interesting! No traffic jams plus you get to enjoy the scenery - Rotterdam city along the way! The river is clean, fresh air and the pier can be accessed easily from the city via tram or bike. And oh 1 more thing you can bring your bike on board! How cool is that?

Ticket costs 4 euros one way for a 30 mins journey. I suggest booking online rather than getting it on the boat. Not sure if it’s cheaper but I just found out that there are different schedules for different seasons. I traveled in July (summer) and I didn’t get any issues.
Check the timetable accordingly when you want to visit. This site is useful. You can also purchase your ticket in advance.

Several ways to get there I found on google...

By train and bus - Kinderdijk is accessible from Amsterdam via both Rotterdam and Utrecht. Take the NS train to Rotterdam CS; from there, take the metro to Rotterdam Zuidplein, and then bus 154 to Kinderdijk. To reach Kinderdijk via Utrecht, take the NS train to Utrecht CS, then bus 154 to Kinderdijk. See the NS website for schedules and fares.

By car - Drivers can also reach Kinderdijk from Amsterdam via Rotterdam or Utrecht. From Amsterdam via Rotterdam, take the A4, A13, A20, A16, and A15 to exit 22. Via Utrecht, take the A2, A27, and A15 to exit 22.

Where to Eat

I suggest to bring packed lunch with you. What's better way than a wee picnic (with a block of cheese lol) by the canal with the windmills around you while your having lunch and besides restaurant options are limited at Kinderdijk. If I remember it correctly there are only 2 restaurants in the area. It it located near the tourist visiting centre.

But you can also dine in nearby cities Rotterdam or Utrecht.

More Info

Open In Google Maps

Sun:10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Mon:10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Tue:10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Wed:10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Thu:10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Fri:10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Sat:10:00 am - 4:00 pm

1 Nederwaard, Kinderdijk, Zuid-Holland, 2961 AS, The Netherlands
+31786912830

Visit website

Accessibility & Audience:Family Friendly
Atmosphere:Outdoors, Scenic, Historical Landmark

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Nіce post. I used to be checking continuously this ԝeblog
    and I аm inspired! Vеrʏ useful іnformation specifically the last part :) I take
    cae of such information much. I wwas seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
    Tһank yⲟu аnd ggood luck.

    ReplyDelete